LOLA MONTÈS as brain-melting colonial fantasia. Thoroughly repulsive yet utterly transfixing (and way less defensible than OPFERGANG). Some shit that actually happens:
- A German circus troupe juggles a balloon globe through the streets of Ceylon, announcing to overrun the world.
- Brownfaced Bavarian "Orientals" lose their marbles over K-Söd cuz she knows how to say "namaste".
- A depressive clown tries to incorporate nuclear annihilation into his act.
- An advertising helicopter almost crashes into a Löwenbräu parade float.
- A tiger tamer in a Tarzan thong seduces a "black angel".
- An incognito maharajah gets mistaken for an Englishman (the irony!).
- This dialogue: "How did you learn to read palms?" – "Many Indians do; we're just more in touch with nature than you Europeans."