• mothmanspirit

I love this shit, it's hilarious and beautiful. Might be the definitive Nicolas Cage. My girlfriend thought he was a fucking creep til I made her watch it.

• filmusicinemike

★★★★½

I've always wondered how this would turn out with Werner Herzog directing it, and it was fucking unreal. I can't even picture Herzog directing this STILL, but I loved every second of it.

Nicolas Cage is one of the best actors out there, and he brought this character to a whole new crazy level.

Ironically, I've always enjoyed movies about corrupt assholes-especially Filth- so it was refreshing to see another film like that, only this time much better.

Herzog needs to chill with the documentaries and make more films like this, although his documentaries always do something to me no other can.

• Simone Visentini

Troppo tempo è trascorso dalla prima indimenticabile visione di Port of Call. All'epoca non lo vidi al cinema, immagino abbia avuto una trascurabile distribuzione. Un flop al botteghino, criticato con livore ossimorico da Ferrara (al quale Herzog rispose di non sapere manco chi fosse, Ferrara). Quell'anno furono comunque pochissime le mie sortite in sala e dovetti correre ai ripari anche con altri grandi film come Funny People e The House of the Devil. Assieme a My Son, My Son questo…

• DanielMattock

★★★

I maybe like a small group of others that find the Iguana scenes so damn fascinating, even if they serve no symbolic purpose whatsoever. Herzog knows.

Cage makes a supposedly dramatic film a pure comedy as usual, brining some of his most memorable character moments yet.

Let's not get into some of the backstory involving the family or Eva Mendes, that didn't really add anything of substance to the tone. Oh and that shed scene with the silver spoon, crap.…

• Kristofer

En helt onödig film. Och varför Herzog gör en sån här film är helt oförståeligt. Säkert en kontraktsgrej. Se hellre Ferrara-filmen. Det är väl egentligen inte en dålig film, men... liksom onödig. Fast iguanorna var roliga, de kunde haft huvudrollen istället.

• Rikhter

Nic Cage at his sickest + WH at his most humorous = Neo-noir psychedelic madness.

Love it.

• Joel

Werner Herzog’s The Bad Lieutenant – Port of Call: New Orleans hits like a bat out of hell. This is the physical ideation of complete madness, weaving a tale that surprises and delights even in the particulars. Nicolas Cage, in one of his great performances, stars as Terrence McDonagh, a coke-addicted police sergeant in New Orleans who injures his back after a pitiful play of weaselly chivalry toward an inmate in his prison. Soon, though, he’s on the case of…

• atomomega

★★★★★

crazy and weird and great, I love everything about this movie

• MegaBG30

What happens when someone has no good ideas or anything that resembles a plot?they make time killers like bad lieutenant obviously. Not very entertaining, not very funny, and just directionless. What I'm trying to say is, I didn't like it.

• dorianp

★★★

I want more Nicolas Cage in my Herzogs.
    The film has flaws. Lots. But I love how Herzog didn't hesitate to go weird in this one.
    I really enjoyed watching it, and I might do it again sometime.

• Cassidy

★★★★½

I don't know what the hell just happened but yknow what I dug it.

• Dean Underwood

★★★★½

"What are these fucking Iguanas doing on my coffee table?"

Thats all I really have to say.