• Ryan M

★★★★

The plotting of this film is so dense that it's basically an abstraction, which is fine because the real appeal comes from the writing and performances. I wouldn't go so far as to call the proceedings "dreamy," but it certainly all follows a particular logic and seems to have passed by in a blur. Does that make sense? It's a good movie, but there's something I can't quite put my finger on.

• Selva

★★★★★

iqsu iki haneli olanların asla anlayamayacağı bir konuya sahip, gerizekalıları direkt eliyor bu sebeple film. raymond chandler'ın kitabından uyarlama, metinler william faulkner'dan. muazzam oyunculuklar. o dönemde kokocu kız tiplemesi, lauren bacall'ın barda yaptığı "at yarışı" muhabbeti çok özel ve cesur detaylardı. humphrey bogart'ı hep çirkin bulurdum, bu filmle birlikte neden bu kadar sevildiğini anladım. sınavlarım biter bitmez film NUĞAr izlemelerime devam edeceğim.
    lauren bacall'ı ALLAH ALLAH.. NEREDEN TANIYORUM.. BU SES... diye izlerken aniden dogville'deki kalın sesli teyzenin o olduğunu idrak…

• Shaun

★★★★

Humphrey Bogart playing private detective Phillip Marlowe in spectacular fashion. The dialog is incredible, with delightful quips and coolness only helped that the dialog was ripped straight from the book - Raymond Chandler had a wonderful way with words. The pulpy, twisty plot full of hard nut wise-guys and off the handle dames, played ever so well by every actor in here is such a joy. My only complaint would be that the love story narrative in the final third felt forced, and a step away from what went on before, although i realise why this part was added after all it is 1940's Hollywood.

• Milo

4.5/5 = Great.
    Howard Hawks #3/4: 4 Directors/4 Films

A richly compelling crime noir, The Big Sleep is a very strong entry from Howard Hawks and the fourth film that I've seen from him so far, the third for this challenge. Putting Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall together for an interesting mystery, if overly convoluted in places, The Big Sleep is immensely captivating as it follows the story of Private Detective Philip Marlowe investigating a case that only gets more…

• hayleymadison

★★★½

the plot of this movie is so convoluted that I was bending over backwards trying to follow it, but you gotta love a classic film noir w/ good old Bogey!

• Carl Hudson

★★★★½

Confusing, lovely, hilarious, interesting, with sharp characters and Bogart trying to outmaneuver everyone; it's a classic noir for a reason, and it entertains today, both with its love story, but also with its case. Even if you'll probably still have a dozen questions after it's over.

Feels like it lacks a cohesive thematic core - the story isn't about one thing as it is about a lot of things - but maybe that was just cause I focused so much on the plot that I forgot to look out for it. Whoops.

• Collykibber

★★★½

"Waddya want me to do? Count three like in the movies?"

I disliked this the way I came to dislike Chandler's book; but because the Marlowe stories were my entry drug of choice to noir, and I was a kid when I read them, I always associate them, like Stephen King, with a lack of maturity; but that's on my part, the authors were plenty old enough! I warmed to it this time. True, this is stupidly plotted for a…

• megan 🌼

★★★

I literally had no idea what was going on most of the time and neither did the guy who wrote it.

• Hugo Castillo

The Return of 100 Degrees - Film #21
    Connecting Actor: Elisha Cook Jr.

So yeah, Elliott Gould is still my kind of Marlowe, but Bogart had the one thing he was missing; Lauren Bacall. OOF THAT CHEMISTRY. Every line was a perfect retort to what the other said. Bacall was a dream leading lady.

Had only partially watched this before today, and it's a great watch. Tons of fantastic lines and memorable quirks from each of the characters. Like The Maltese Falcon however, I was underwhelmed with the camera; though I've come to realize it's just the way films were shot in Hollywood at the time.

• Emery Snyder

★★★★

Sassy & confusing... Just like me.

• Calib McBolts

★★★★★

I have no idea what i just witnessed, but damn, i love it.

The Big Sleep, directed by the legendary Howard Hawks, starring Bogey, Bacall, based on a book by Chandler, and music by Max Steiner. That alone should be enough to fill seats in a cinema. Hawks presents us here one of the great film-noirs, a film so near-flawlessly constructed, capturing the ethos of the genre so neatly (There's the irreverent protagonist, the femme fatale, the assorted tough guys,…

• Elle

★★★

lauren bacall and her single facial expression brought their A GAME!!!!!