• STinG

★★★★½

Rewatched it again this time in the longer 1945 pre-release form and all I can say is I prefer the cut that was released in 1946. As much as one can claim the earlier version makes "more narrative sense", the one big scene that explains everything is sort of fun but not plot-saving Jesus.
    But the bigger reason is there's not as much Lauren Bacall in this version and we all know the best damn thing about this movie is Bogie and Bacall being ballers.

• JC13

★★★★

"She tried to sit in my lap while I was standing up."

This film is incredibly hard to follow along with plotwise, but the story is constantly engaging, so it gets by. What really makes the film work though is the cast and the dialogue. Humphrey Bogart is awesome as always and gets strong support from Lauren Bacall and the rest of the cast. The dialogue has lots of great back and forths between characters which I love and there are some terrific individual scenes present. Like I said, it may not be easy to understand, but it's a very good movie nonetheless. 8/10

• Balu

★★★½

This is another of those black and white noir classics from the 40s filled with great dialogue, a labyrinthine plot, a renowned director at the helm, and, only Humphrey Bogart in his prime and a young sultry Lauren Bacall

• Emilio Sanhueza

★★★½

72/100.

Tar gjerne mot forslag til en god, norsk erstatning for begrepet 'shaggy dog story', ettersom denne krimnøtten er unødvendig innviklet — dog åpenbart med velment vilje (bortsett fra at karakterer blir drept). Det finnes en del skriblerier som setter Film Noir-sjangeren i en kontekst som understreker det moralske forfallet og det angstfylte i etterkant av andre verdenskrig, men… her er handlingen drevet av ønsket om å finne ut av Sannheten og å avdekke folks lugubre planer for andres penger.…

• lacroixjoy

★★½

Other than Lauren Bacall's excellent performance, I honestly was pretty bored. I suppose this is probably an excellent example of modern woman can't appreciate classic film.

• Fredrik

★★★★★

A great 40`s noir. Howard Hawks creates an engaging movie based on the Raymond Chandler novel by the same name. A very quotable movie with great performances by Bogart and Bacall. Even though the movie is a little confusing at times, the film keeps it`s focus. Everything adds up to something. I can`t really find anything in this movie that I didn`t like. Amazing

• weneedhunny

★★★

The third time I've seen Bogart perform and I'm still not swept off my feet. Thankfully the dialogue is snippy, the music is atmospheric, and the ladies' performances make up for it. This is definitely the first time I've watched an old classic mention someone using drugs openly, being "high" that is. I can't say I followed all of the intrigue in its intricacies, who was fooling who, who won, who lost, who died, who killed who, I wasn't in the headspace for that sort of brain work but it was entertaining even so.

• michelle

★★★★½

Oh fuck. Bogart and Bacalls chemistry just oozes from the screen, it's like I can feel their love and it's so beautiful. I love them and I wan't to be them. Also I love how in noir's someone falls asleep after one punch.

• christopher alton

★★★★

Bogie and Bacall star in this obfuscated noir with a million and one clever lines of dialogue. I mean seriously I could quote lines from this all day:

My, my, my! Such a lot of guns around town and so few brains! You know, you're the second guy I've met today that seems to think a gat in the hand means the world by the tail.

Figuring out all the "whos" and "whys" isn't required to appreciate this landmark film,…

• STinG

★★★★½

I'll maintain to my dying day that whatever the hell Bogie is playing, it sure as hell ain't Marlowe (a character I've never seen on-screen the way Raymond Chandler wrote him), but he's definitely Bogie. And Bogie's my idol, the sort of dude I wanna see in the mirror when I wake up. And his sizzling fun with all the ladies, especially Lauren Bacall in the movie that essentially made them a couple is all I'd want out of a…

• Niklas Bergljung

★★★

Rapp dialog och Bogart är toppen men jag fastnar inte alls för handlingen.

• Rogério de Almeida