• Sarah Huisken

Glorious, perfect Friday the 13th knock off.

• Ruz_El

★★★★

I discovered this one last challenge when it was recommended. When Scream Factory announced a bluray I jumped at it. It’s easily the best Not-Friday the 13th movie ever made. Likable characters and the great Tom Savini doing the effects, what’s not to like? I’d even go in for a sequel on this one, bring back Cropsie!

2013: bumped to 4 stars

• Radu Conopan

★★½

A former summer camp caretaker, horribly burned from a prank gone wrong, lurks around an upstate New York summer camp bent on killing the teenagers responsible for his disfigurement.

• Brian

★★★½

I finally got around to buying and watching this film.

This film has a pretty strong reputations among the slasher/horror fans and I came away pretty entertained with what I saw. Is it better than Halloween, Friday the 13th or Black Christmas? No.

It probably does have the best gore of the bunch, and the lack of the cliche "final girl" is refreshing in some ways. In fact, there really isn't any final girl or guy since so many potential…

• Ruz_El

★★★

I had somehow missed knowing about this film. So to see a Miramax Friday The 13th clone written by Harvey Weinsten and featuring Jason Alexander with hair was a bit of a surprise. I really liked this one, it’s better then most of the F13 films. Tom Savini does the effects and does a great job. This one will probably get a re-visit down the line.

• Alex Boone

★½

Can someone please explain to me why this is one of the best slasher films? I do not get it.

• randymole

★★★½

A perfectly serviceable slasher that if your a fan of the genre and don't mind ridiculously pink blood you will enjoy it...it has the usual character development of no real characters, that a lot of the slashers have but then it picks up well... and oddly I found myself drawn to the exploits of theses helpless twentie something teens.... I kinda believed them more than in other shockers and I really did feel they were fucked in the way they all got set up.... some nice gore and didn't over stay it's welcome- a cut above similar movies

• Dex1138

★★★½

I had no idea this movie even existed until a couple years ago when I saw it mentioned on Strange Kids Club. It's definitely a step or to above the average 80s slasher and most of that is due to the cast. In most slashers the kids are there for the body count but I really liked most of them and wanted them to make it.

The worst thing about this one for me are the kill scenes, not the makeup effects but the actual composition of the kills. Because the weapon of choice is gardening shears, it makes for some awkward angles.

• Matt Curione

★★★★

A fun and gruesome little early 80's slasher. Pretty much everything I need in one of these movies.

Halfway through, I had the thought of "Wow, there's barely any kills in this." Then the film erupted in a literal river of gore. Delightful!

• steveperryfan82

★★★½

screenshot of skull candle. the caretaker running around on fire.
    special effects by tom savini.. i think he's famous. ok, first GREAT thing is a surprise appearance by Jason Alexander. did i miss his name in the credits? this movie is strange. some of the directing is questionable. the special effects are pretty good so far. this is a mixed bag, but it works when it's good. it's hard to follow. LOLOL i just died when the character tiger took…

• Jacob and Tab

★★★★½

The Burning is everything you want in a slasher. It does what Friday the 13th does but with so much more finesse. Cropsey is a really unfortunate soul with one hell of a meanstreak and he is out on a vendetta against the campers who mutilated him. There is some seriously outdated social situations, but other than that the movie is solid and the special effects absolutely hold up.

• Brian Rowe

★★★½

Discovered this horror gem on a Scream Factory DVD. One of the many Friday the 13th clones to be sure, but still hugely entertaining, with a killer on the loose at a summer camp. A few terrific scares and gory moments. Great fun!