• Rose Scoville

This re-imagining is visually gorgeous, which is expected considering it's an homage complete with scans and set design borrowed from Wiene's Cabinet. Now we can ogle the inspired geometry while groaning or giggling at 76 minutes of fist biting and robotic, inane dialogue. The characters tell us things like, "I wonder what it's like," which, given what little I know of ye olde economical approach to intertitles, would be a nuisance then and is of no service now either. The light-shadow play would be more interesting if we were unable to just watch the original, but, hooray, we still can.

• aviyawna

Why the fuck was this made. Just about a shot for shot remake that I didn't want to be watching but I did.

• theworstmobster

★★½

Looks and feels like a collection of FMV cutscenes from a 90s point-n-click adventure game that's based on the original film.

• usmonster

★★★★

Good movie . really liked the ending and the black and white filming of the movie . My first time seeing The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari . Never seen the silent movie . Now I just may watch it..

• forkerball

So having just watched this remake, I have absolutely no idea why the fuck it was made. It’s pretty much the same film as the 1920 Silent film but nothing in it is as good. The only thing that is better is the dialogue, only cos there was no fucking dialogue in the silent film but it is horrible dialogue none the less.The rest of it is substandard bullshit. the actors all look out of place, here you have ‘modern’…

• Xplodera

★★½

“What force does drive a man insane?”

I'm not necessarily against remakes, but if this version would be the only version of The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari anybody watches, I'd be a shame. Hopefully though, this movie could make somebody decide to watch the 1920 silent masterpiece which its remaking and I guess that's worth something. Essentially, this remake is a reconstruction of the original (to the point of using the exact same backgrounds) but with real spoken dialogue -…

• William Kretschmer

★★★★

A great recreation of the classic movie using the original sets, but with present-day actors and a wonderful soundtrack 'modernizing' the expressionism of the original.

• MiguelSolo

★★★★

El Gabinete del Doctor Caligari de 2005 es (y gracias a dios) un remake muy atípico, ya que se trata más bien de una reconstrucción de la propia obra en lugar de una actualización, como prometen hoy en día tantos otros, ahora denominados reboots, como excusa para sacar dinero usando el nombre de una película que poco tiene que ver con la original.

El trabajo que David Lee Fisher realiza aquí es en cambio admirable. Un homenaje que trata en…

• luis reséndiz