• Jacob Neff

★★★½

Rachel is by far the most interesting character, both as her younger self (Jessica Chastain) and her older self (Helen Mirren). While seeming from the outset that too much was given away right off the bat, it grabbed my attention in a big way in the second hour. I wasn't sure whether to laugh, cry, or cringe at the climax, though, I'll admit, I've never seen a fight like it.

• Rian Nathani

★★★

The Debt is a solid, workmanlike espionage thriller that makes great use of a twist to set up the third act, but is ultimately an average and unmemorable film. None of the performances truly stand out, though Jessica Chastain always deserves a mention. Sam Worthington wasn't actual garbage, and Marton Csokas was not nearly as campy as his season 1 turn in Into the Badlands, but it doesn't really matter. I don't think any of them did a great job…

• stephendanay

★★½

Serviceable but unremarkable. The suspense scenes in the 1960s were solid, but I would have much preferred a movie wholly set in the present that dug more deeply into the morally murky situation they created for themselves. By the time all that stuff gets raised, it's already the third act and there isn't much room to explore it.

• Khoi Vinh

Surprisingly good.

• DavidSagredo

7,5/10

Entretenida e interesante.
    Buen reparto y buenas actuaciones. Me ha gustado mucho como han estructurado la historia.

• Michael SweatpantsDisco

★½

I don't know if I just wasn't in the right mood, but this bored the absolute tears out of me. Not literally, though. I only cry when I touch myself to Ryan Reynolds movies.

• Nick Potter

★★★★

What's the best thing? Jessica Chastain and Helen Mirren are in the same film.
    What's the worst thing? They don't get to ever be on screen together.

• Jakub Flasz

★★★½

Perhaps I need to finally catch up with John Madden's Oscar-snatching Shakespeare In Love to have a definitive ruling on whether it is his directorial touch that I like about his films or maybe it's all down to Jessica Chastain, who happens to be one of my favourite actresses currently working.

Nevertheless, similarly to Miss Sloane, which I just can't wait to revisit, The Debt is a very solid thriller, though it happens to veer more decisively towards a schmaltzy…

• TDotRome

★★★

Interesting and different tale of the Nazi era, but it falls apart in the third act. The "modern day" scenes don't come close to the quality of the flashbacks.

• Troy Campbell

★★★

A remake of the 2007 Israeli film of the same name, John Madden’s Westernised take on the gritty espionage thriller is enjoyably diverting, if not much more. Tracking three Mossad agents across two timeframes – as young adults they embark on a perilous mission to capture a serial killing Nazi surgeon, 30 years later they revisit their haunted memories – there’s plenty going on story-wise. However it lacks that required edge to elevate it into spellbinding territory, largely due to…

• Esmé Gigi Geniveve Squalor

★★★★

all i want in life is for jessica chastain to snap my neck with her legs

• Dawson Joyce

September 2017
    Scavenger Hunt #30
    TASK #19: A film starring an actor or actress you find attractive!

Yes, another film featuring my favorite Oscar-nominated redhead. Before you question whether or not I need psychiatric help, let's get this review out of the way. Recently, it was announced that Matthew Vaughn, who co-wrote and produced this film, confirmed he was in talks to direct Man of Steel 2 for Warner Bros. and DC Films. While I liked the choice, someone I…