• Thomas Faughnan

+++ R A I L R O A D S +++

• Sam Noland

★★★½

I guess some movies aren't as good on a rewatch :(

• Owen Peterson

★★★★½

Film School Drop Outs- Weekly Challenege 2017

boxd.it/159de

Week 2 - Genre - Comedy - Silent Comedy Icons

The General is about as entertaining as films get as far as I'm concerned. The film almost movies like a train; it start out a bit slow and from there on just gains momentum and keeps chugging along with all the humor and action one could desire. The majority of the film is just train set pieces which you think would get…

• Curtis

★★★★

Letterboxd log #2060
    Part 4 of "Watching Good Movies for a Change"

Damn impressive. The style of comedy isn't necessarily what I gravitate toward, but The General holds up better than some comedies half or even a quarter of its age.

• Christopher Sorgiovanni

2017 Movie Challenge - Film #2 of 2 for the 1920s; #27 of 55 overall

The silent era just doesn't do it for me, and I'm confident in saying that this is probably my last.

Some good stunts for the time though. But I didn't even crack a smile during this "comedy". Oh! And Buster Keaton looks uncannily like Jimmy Fallon.

• Ratzenking

★★★½

I really like watching these old silent movies, because they're very relaxing. I also love to watch these stories that you can follow pretty well despite that there's no dialogue carrying you forward. But looking at it with a crictical eye makes it clear that the story is nothing special to write home about. It's mostly a long chase movie that has been done better as time went on.

7.3 out of 10

• erinem

This was a very different movie the last time I watched it (back in 2009), although I liked it then, and I like it now. But I noticed and appreciated entirely different things (apart from Keaton's hair: one constant ;p). You can't step in the same river twice.

• Andrew Saunders

★★★★★

Buster Keaton is amazing, and needs to always be mentioned when talking about Charlie Chaplin. Those two make some of the best silent films I can think of, and always take advantage of needing to show emotion by physical means. The General is one of my favorites.

I cannot understand how he pulls off the physical stunts in this. Not only do they look like he could die, they also look like something I could never imagine possible. They would…

• jmorgan28

★★★

Chaplin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Keaton

• ssez222

Absolutely perfect

• horrorjunkie13

★★★½

My introduction to Buster Keaton, now I understand why he is so great.

• Servernode

★★★★★

I watched this and Fury Road on the same night and they were far more similar than I expected. A wonderful movie if you can get past the whole Buster Keaton saves the confederacy thing.

(And that's not the smallest thing.)