• Zach Wee

    ★★★★

    There is an unrelenting air of mystery established from the very beginning of the film in this complex but surprisingly grounded political thriller. A common trope with films of this specific subgenre is that due to the intricacies of internal politics and themes of espionage, complex plotlines are a must in the genre in order to make the world of the film believable enough for world leaders, people infinitely more intelligent than us and concerned with matters beyond our comprehension,…

    View

  • Ron Ackner

    ★★★★½

    Not a rewatch but I'm listening to Alexandre Desplat's score for this film and it is *so good*. Very Bernard Herrmann.

    (Also I do adore this movie)

    View

  • hugo

    ★★★★

    The Ghost Writer doesn't reinvent the political thriller genre but I would be lying if I said that the film wasn't immensely entertaining, flawlessly placed, well acted, expertly scored and aesthetically pleasing. If you're into those desaturated colour palette investigative thrillers like 'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo', 'Gone Girl' and most other Fincher films to be honest then this should satisfy you enough. Polanski is able to keep scenes of dialogue engaging by using a variety of angles and levels…

    View

  • madeinc

    ★★★½

    Прямо в последнем кадре едкий политический триллер с бесконечными холодными дождями уверенно шагает к неожиданным рассуждением о постоянных  попытках любого автора быть услышанным. Главный дуэт МакГрэгор-Броснан притягивает минус к плюсу, шпионская тема вызывает холодную дрожь, но сука, я не понял эту хрень с операторской работой. Номинант на премию "Оскар" иногда бережёт переводы фокуса, смену планов и ручную камеру так, как будто это золотой запас, превращая кино в сериал средней руки с американского BBC. Либо я дико тупой, либо Эдельман ослеп и не давал к тому же посмотреть в монитор Полански.

    View

  • Kevin Royal Johnson

    ★★★★★

    As close to perfection as a thriller can be. One of Polanski's great achievements.

    View

  • Daniel Kroenke

    ★★★

    Die Erwartungen an „The Ghost Writer“ und Regisseur Roman Polanski waren hoch. Polanski hat bereits mehrfach bewiesen hat, dass er das Thriller-Genre nicht nur beherrscht; er hat mit „Chinatown“ (USA 1974) auch einen Meilenstein gesetzt. Jetzt verfilmte er einen Polit-Thriller von Robert Harris um einen fiktiven britischen Ex-Premierminister, der rechtzeitig zur Premiere des Films mit unerwartet aktuellen Bezügen zu Großbritanniens Ex-Premier Tony Blair und seiner Aussage vor dem Irak-Untersuchungsausschuss die gesteigerte Aufmerksamkeit der Tagespresse erregt. Roman Polanski selbst sorgte durch…

    View

  • takeot

    Forget the statutory rape thing, Polanski needs to be extradited to the US and tried for this fucking abomination

    View

  • Sidney Shear

    ★★★

    "I'm your ghost."

    A fine + taut thriller with a good scope and sociopolitical themes, Polanski unabashedly goes after the CIA, British politics, and wraps the story in a tense atmosphere similar to 'The Ninth Gate'. There's some generic twists like the quick romance, but I liked McGregor a lot in this as well as Wilkinson. The reveals are evenly placed enough to keep one interested, but the internet searches did get on my nerve. Bernthal, Belushi, and Hutton were a cool surprise. The trailer is somewhat misleading though.

    Kim Cattrall was grrreat.

    View

  • Bitonic

    ★★★

    Δεν ξέρω ένιωσα ότι ήθελα πολύ να δω τι θα γίνει και μετά από λίγο το ενδιαφέρον μου χανόταν. Πολλές flat σκηνές χωρίς ενδιαφέρον, ή κινηματογραφημένες χωρίς ενδιαφέρον. Άλλες φυσικά το ακριβώς αντίθετο.

    View

  • Jordan

    ★★★★

    Though it takes a while to get going, the second half is thrilling, thanks to sharp direction, great performances, and a killer score.

    View

  • SzD

    Hát ha polansky kell egy közepes, bár tisztességes iparosmunkához, az szomorú.

    View

  • Max

    ★★★½

    Polanski's direction elevates some stodgy material into a pretty solid mystery - it's no Chinatown, it damn well wants to be, but it's solid. Makes extremely good use of a nice group of underutilized actors such as Olivia Williams, cranking up the sexuality of her intellectualism from Rushmore to great effect, and Pierce Brosnan, who may have become one of Britain's greatest stars if he hadn't ever been caught in the shadow of James Bond (shaded by a money tree, albeit).

    View