• Roaaarry

★★★★

Well, where do I start? I guess I'll start by saying I found it riveting throughout. I was familiar with the story due to watching David Finchers remake a few years ago. Now that I have seen the original I will be chasing up on the two sequels that followed this.

• felonioustongue

★★★★

The only version of this story, including the book, that is acceptable to me.

• Peaceful Anarchy

★★★★½

Plays like a Sherlock or Agatha Christie mystery in that it's a bit contrived and artificial, but still very engaging to watch. The subplots and side stories are pretty good too, and the performances give the film an extra edge. The darkness adds to the film's tone and strange energy, but it still holds a bit back. That's both a good thing and a bad thing. I think the film's impact might be stronger if it went darker and further, but I probably would enjoy it less were that the case.

• Kristofer

★★½

Helt okej överföring av boken (såg TV-versionen), men det betyder ju inte att det är något himlastormande. Men men, inte ens boken är särskilt himlastormande... nåväl, habil underhållning med en intressant roll av Rapace.

• Marina Waterhouse

★★★

nunca pensé que iba a decir esto de nada pero me gustó mil veces más la versión yanqui

• Charlie Walker

★★★★

I know this is the original, and the Daniel Craig version is a remake of this, but I've seen them the other way around, and because they're so incredibly similar, this didn't really grab me like Fincher's film, perhaps had I have watched this first I'd feel differently about it, but it's just very good without being brilliant, which is how I felt about Fincher's film after watching it a second time. The two films are so similar in fact, that Michael Nyqvist and Daniel Craig have almost morphed into one person in my head.

• João Martins

★★★★

I liked it as much as Fincher’s version. I think that, as expected,this one is not at the same level in the technical details but it is a bit more human and somehow more natural, as well as more detailed.

• Lilith Elizabeth

★★★★

I'm always so impressed by how well received this has been by an international audience because there are so many puns and references in it that just aren't really translatable outside of Sweden

• KyleParker

★★★★

Liked it a little better than the Swedish version. Dark tone and is well acted with some truly gruesome bits.

• Matias Juselius

★★★

So now I have watched the extended version of the film (set in two parts) that clocks in on a total time of 3 hours. So it's about 30 minutes longer than the theatrical cut.

Is it any better? Perhaps. Some things are explained better in my opinion. But having read the book, it still feels like too much is missing. Especially in the last 15 minutes. That felt way too rushed, like trying to fit a marathon into a 100-meter dash.

• wdavid1149

★★★★★

Swedish thriller and mystery about a reporter trying to find his clients lost niece. Hiring a computer hacker they both try and track down the missing girl. There are twist and turns along the way that add to the suspense. It's the first part of the trilogy.

• A_Dawg

★★★★

Disgraced journalist Mikael Blomkvist (Michael Nyqvist) is hired by Henrik Vanger, the head of a wealthy family, to investigate the disappearance of his niece, who's been missing for 40 years. Henrik believes that one of his family murdered her. Blomkvist teams up with professional hacker Lisbeth Salander (Noomi Rapace - the "Girl" of the title) to try and solve the mystery. Well-constructed thriller benefits from the chemistry and performances of the two leads, particularly Rapace, who makes Salander a woman…