• Wilson

★★★

The High Sign is a plot-heavy Buster Keaton short, that has the distinction to have been the first one produced by Keaton himself, though Keaton didn't like it, so it was shelved until the following year. I can understand why Keaton wasn't keen on this 20 minutes, because it has so much going on in it, however it also has some amazing sequences, not least the chase through a house filled with secret passages that the film ends with.

• Alex

★★★★½

Oh man!! That climatic house set chase! Keaton's rythym is so amazing. Especially after all the opening jokes they set up but skipped over, then go full force with all the gags. dang. Genius filmmaking.

• Peaceful Anarchy

★★★★½

Keaton was at his best with physical comedy, and those last 5 minutes are some excellent stuff. The rest of it is pretty funny too.

• Niklas Bergljung

★★★★★

Det finns ingen som klår Keaton i uppfinningsrikedom och den här filmen är inget undantag. Tiny Tim är fantastisk som skurk.

• darrenj

★★★★

Probably my favourite "Buster" Keaton short so far...

• Jamie Lawson

★★★★½

Buster is (was) a god damn genius. That climactic house scene is amazing, and I appreciated how many surreal gags were sprinkled throughout....even some of the title cards were pretty funny. Maybe I'm just in a BK kinda mood, but I enjoyed the shit out of all of it.

• J.W. Hendricks

★★★★½

Nearly 100 years later and Keaton's stunts are still infinitely more creative and thrilling than just about anything Hollywood has put out since.

• cascione

★★★★

Scambiato per un infallibile cecchino, Buster Keaton viene assoldato da una banda criminale per uccidere una persona e al contempo da quest'ultima come guardia del corpo. Rutilante sequenza di gag a partire dall'iniziale giornale gigante, passando per il cane che fa suonare la campanella e arrivando alla casa con i passaggi segreti. Ancora una volta l'architettura di una casa (stavolta quattro stanze comunicanti tutte nella stessa inquadratura) diventa funzionale alla comicità.

• Tom Watchorn

(belated) Week 2 of Film School Dropouts 2017

'Core' film:
    The General
    Extra Viewing:
    Sherlock Jr.
    The High Sign
    The Cook

One thing that became clear watching Keaton and Arbuckle do their 'silent comedy icon' thing in these four still charming films is that as soon as synchronised sound came in (just one year after The General, which is hard for me to fathom) comedy gravitated towards increasingly pacy one liners, and the intricacy, daring and imagination of slapstick and…

• Jordan Theiss

★★★

A playful film with great stuntwork by the master tumbler Buster Keaton. The story is thin (as with most silent films) but it delivers a fun 20 minute tale with great gags and set design.

• audreyv

★★★½

a supremely excellent comedy if you love to watch people fall down

• Max Restaino

★★★★★

A comic crime thriller thats decades ahead of it's time, with amazing sets, and a career high for my personal hero, Buster Keaton.