• Peaceful Anarchy

★★★

Pretty much a boilerplate with some random topical commentary on banks and their power. Enjoyable but forgettable.

• 📺 Arch F.

★★★★★

Whatever the message I was supposed to receive was muddied by oversaturation of complexity and by the fact this is a completely fictional movie.

But it reminded me of two things: I'm currently in $10,000 debt to my bank, which makes me their slave, and hey remember Clive Owen? What's he doing these days?

The direction was fantastic, I'm sure Michael Mann picked up some shootout tips from Tykwer after this because that Guggenheim sequence was sick (i.e. pretty good)

B&W rating: A visual treat.

• oshitwaddup

★★★½

Extremely interesting topic, so much info going on in it and there is lots of unanswered questions, but eventually it was a riveting and exciting detective story with arguable ideas about economy and life which might be true and can show the secret system going on inside the world.

• STEPHEN TUBBS

★★★

Bit of a comedown for the Director but the underlying message of the film is worthy of a look.

• SchoenerDenken

★★★★½

Es fängt schon damit an, dass der Film am verregneten Berliner Hauptbahnhof beginnt und Tykwer seinen Helden so überraschend zu Boden gehen lässt, dass es einem die Sprache verschlägt – und dem Bild den Ton. Ein kleiner Geniestreich, und nicht der letzte. Das Drehbuch mag nicht in jedem Detail der Filmweisheit letzter Schluss sein, aber die Souveränität mit der Tykwer diesem Thriller große Bilder verschafft ist beeindruckend. Das ist die Regie-Liga von Alfred Hitchcock. Und das ist keine Übertreibung. schoener-denken.de/blog/the-international/

• Fida

It was categorized as a thriller, but there was nothing thrilling about it. Movies that are specifically made for a straight male audience aren't movies for me, I guess.

• Murphy Kenefick

★★★★

Ahh my favorite Christmas movie.

I love this thing. It's far from perfect, but there are so may incredible moments, sounds, shots, performances sprinkled throughout that it makes it so enjoyable.

In my Top 12 of all time.

Tell me that "I want some fucking justice!" isn't the greatest line ever written. You can't.

• Ed Küpfer

★★★

Stylish slow-burn thriller about a cop and an attorney investigating a big bank selling arms. The shots are gorgeous. The ending is anti-climactic and dumb, but it is preceded by a very well-staged gunfight in the Guggenheim museum. Those two cancel each other out, so you're left with a good-looking hard-to-follow political thriller which is plot-heavy and action-light. I've spent 2 hours in worse ways.

View

• talisencrw (William Wood)

★★★★

Script-wise was the only way this tense thriller lacked: It was a little bit too savvy yet undistinguished for its own good. As good as Daniel Craig has been as James Bond, I always wish Clive Owen had gotten the nod, and as vengeance, I proudly watch every film of his I can find (Naomi Watts is quite enjoyable to see on celluloid as well). The only other Tom Tykwer film I've seen so far is his stellar 'Run Lola…

• Jonathan Larsson

45/100

I don't know why I keep coming back to these kinds of movies, when they so overwhelmingly seldom give me any kind of enjoyment or revelations or whatever. And you all know exactly what I mean with "these kinds of movies". They intrigues me, they often got my full interest to start with, but almost always they disappoint, and almost always am I a little surprised by that fact.

In all genres there are as many bad as there…

• Thomas Bjørnøy

★★★★

A very underrated movie IMHO.

• Dan Otis

The thing I remember most about this movie is when a guy threatened to stab me while I was peeing in the bathroom beforehand.