Sort by

Criterion Channel

• William Dishon

Hooptober 8.0 | Film #21 |

Checklist: 30s (decade 8/9) | Total 21/27 |

As someone not familiar with the source material (I have a physical copy of the novel, but just haven't read it yet) it was fascinating to see how different this version is compared to last years more contemporary adaptation, which takes a much darker angle in its approach. It still think this version is pretty good, especially considering how impressive the invisible effects would have been…

• belladudeck

★★★★

how cool is this movie omg, I loved how they used the concept in the reboot

• Bat0

★★★★

Claude Rains sells this movie, everytime he's not present in a scene it feels kinda boring, but once he shows up it is NEVER. A dull moment.

• Daniel Jensen

★★★½

If you know nothing about this movie, then I recommend watching before reading anything at all should you be so inclined.

The happiest surprise of The Invisible Man was how much it didn’t conform to my expectations. I was thinking wacky hijinks with special effects that were amazing for the time. While there is a bit of that, the selling point (for me) was the surprisingly intense violence. If it isn’t a horror movie by contemporary standards, it still gets…

• Kristy Davis

Really great special effects for a movie from 1933!

• Roman Arbisi

★★★★½

So simple in every stride that it takes. Doesn’t overstay it’s welcome and is wildly creative. Nearly 100 years-old and the special effects are magic. Great performances from everyone involved. Going to be hard to top this moving forward.

• Coochiecruncher

Man has mad drip

• Ralph Moffettone

★★★½

Doesn’t have the atmosphere or pathos of other Universal Horror joints and is a little one-note but has a satisfying amount of shenanigans, fires, explosions, and killings. Claude Rains gives a stirring performance despite being the Invisible Man. Impossible to not think about how often the Invisible Man is cock-out butt-naked.

• Josh

★★★★

Jack is a chaotic dramatic little bitch, I love it

• Kenan Reed

★★★★

Everything an old b-horror movie should be: a perfect mix of laughing my ass off at “scary” floating pants and long monotone scenes where I can take a 7 minute power nap until the screaming resumes!

• Odysseas