“among us, there are those who are not among us.”
some errant thoughts:
- Tilda Swinton is a stone cold fox in this one. not earthy or primal or whatever elemental adjectives are typically used to describe her.
- you will never anything as much as Paz de la Huerta hates clothes.
- wish Jarmusch hadn't been so quick to splice during the last shot when Christopher Doyle drops the camera to his shoulder.
- is THE COUNSELOR the LIMITS OF CONTROL of 2013?
- aesthetics aside (not a small thing), there isn't a single idea here that Jarmusch doesn't manage to capture in a more cogent and compelling fashion with ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE. be that as it may, i think this was a necessary step for him to take, nudging his filmmaking from the spectral to the molecular.
- there's a really great Jarmusch interview by Gavin Smith around this movie, essential reading.