• James Ford

Lubitsch's first talkie! I didn't even know he'd made musicals, I'm late to the Lubitsch game. This is fun and fine, but not quite wonderful. It shares a silent's slow pacing; the musical numbers are not extravaganzas, just instances where the leads sing into one another's faces, between the talking. That said, the sets/settings are sort of spectacular. There's plenty of light fun: an opening in unsubbed French, where Chevalier just turns to the audience to break the fourth wall…

• suchkova

★★★½

It's funny and charming, but the ending gets a big HELL NO from me. I guess the word "compromise" wasn't invented yet.

• twervinn

Funny and interesting but ends up boring.
     The story of this womanizer (Maurice Chevalier) entertains with that comic and casanova personality that he has. Without a doubt, a character that makes this evolve is that of Queen Louise (Jeanette MacDonald), who is a strong, independent woman who wants to maintain that status beyond what they expect of her, this makes her interesting since the first moment it appears.
     The love story between these two develops in a forced capable way…

• Steven

★★½

Lubitsch having fun with gender norms by making the guy have to be subservient to the woman due to her being a queen. The intimate dialogue scenes are great, but the actual parades and other royal pomp add a fair amount of bloat IMO.

• robyntotheTee

★★½

I am convinced these movies are merely to showcase the good looks of Chevalier. It couldn't possibly be for the plot, or even the acting. The plot of this and Smiling Lieutenant are weak and unfulfilling, and the acting doesn't seem at all Oscar worthy. And I think the queen's palace is the same set as in Smiling Lieutenant.
    That being said, I do appreciate that this was the first blockbuster musical, so kudos.

• movielad

★★★★

Ernst Lubitsch Birthday Tribute

• AntoniusBlock7

★★★

At its beginning of this film we meet a ladies man (Maurice Chevalier) in Paris whose had many affairs and is impish about it, unashamed in front of the cuckolded husband or later the Queen when he’s sent back to his home country. She asks him “aren’t you ashamed of yourself?” to which he shakes his head no with a big smile but says “yes, your majesty” to which they both chuckle.

Jeannette Macdonald plays the Queen in what was…

• Ryan Jacobson

watched

• fozzielogic

One of those early musicals that remind you how slight most stage shows of the Show Boat era really were, with this second tier having mostly unmemorable songs. And oh those mythical Paramount kingdoms!

Having said that, the four leads are charming as hell. To the extent that this succeeds, it's because of those four leads.

• jw9004

bizarre, beautiful, and sometimes weird.

• joe2d2

★★★

the first narrative musical. a standout among other sound attempts of the era. with maurice chevalier in full, fuckboy prime. best pic nominee at 3rd oscars.

• Antheny X

★★★½

Ernst and I are tight. I enjoy everything I’ve watched of his so far. This is good, but if I had to list my complaints for only giving it three and a half star it would be that some of the marks feel missed, something Lubitsch would master within a few short years. In addition, the almost cartoonish laddishness of the leading role and his valet broke it for me. There’s precarious antics from other supporting roles as well, and…