• Marianna Neal

★★½

So, this isn't the WORST example of a remake, the cast is very decent, and I like the idea of a crossover between a prequel and a remake. But it's not the best either. It particularly pales in comparison to John Carpenter's The Thing, considering I just watched that one last night, plus the CGI effects are... you know, CGI.

P.S. Tormund and his ginger beard are in this movie, which kind of makes me happy :)

• Roy_Batty

★★½

It really doesn't make a lot of sense to make a movie that owes so much to its predecessor that it feels more like a remake than the prequel it actually is, but if you can go past that, it's not half bad.

It certainly descends into jump-at-you scares territory on its third leg, the "monster" goes for the killing or not depending when it is convenient to move the plot towards the required direction, and the digital effects are…

• Kman123

★★★

It's not a good film but by god did they try. They used old lenses, they shot on film, they built all practical effects before it got fucked over via cgi.

• Josh Sousa

★★★

I'm about as big a fanboy of Carpenter's 1982 version of the same name that you'll ever see. As such, I avoided the 2011 film like like plague for ages, fearing that it would sully the good name that Carpenter established back with his horrific masterpiece of cinematic brilliance. However, after some critical reading and the discovery of a core few folks near the soul of the project, I decided to give this prequel a go.

To my genuine surprise,…

• PeteMcVries

★★½

Mary Elizabeth Winstead Stars In A Sci-Fi Paranoia Thriller That Unexpectedly Ends With A Long Dumb Action Sequence Involving A Spacecraft After Which She Remains As The Only Survivor: Part One

I am usually very forgiving when it comes to stupid endings (Interstellar and 10 Cloverfield Lane, for example), but this movie's third act is a pretty big clusterfuck.

• Phil Sternwise

This prequel/remake (remakquel?) could have been a good idea, but it isn’t (of course) because Hollywood keeps making the same idiotic mistakes… let’s discover why:

scene one : snowcat breaks through ice hole… interesting calamity, pretty good, but we don’t get to see how the characters get out of this. Dumb. Audience immediate response when finding out they’re not going to show us this exciting possibility: FUCK YOU MOVIE. Not good.

scene two: intro to main character… not much here……

• Casey Malone

★★½

This wasn't good but it also wasn't nearly as bad as I'd been led to believe. It's biggest sin is that it spends 100% of its tension in one scene and immediately devolved into a dumb monster chase.

• Joshua Richardson

★★½

Scientist Kate (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and pilot Sam (Joel Edgerton) join an ensemble of Norwegian scientists at a remote Antarctic outpost as they attempt to dig out a frozen alien spaceship. In the process, they extract an alien who is not quite as dead as it initially seems. When it is revealed that the alien can assume the form of whoever it kills, the outpost team must battle both the beast and the paranoia that threatens to tear them apart.…

• Jacob Lyngle

★★★

It's cool because it leads straight into Carpenter's classic, but I am still disappointed they switched out those gnarly practical fx they had for CG because of studio intervening. Otherwise, it leads perfectly into 1982's The Thing and is a decent prequel.

• KT Wabbit

I was expecting to be disappointed, and I wasn't disappointed, this was disappointing.
    What was missing? Characterisation, tension, paranoia, isolation, hopelessness.
    Now I am biased as John Carpenter's version is my favourite film of all time. This highlights how good his finished product was, especially the score.

• JeffDLowe

37/100

• Dan Snyder

★★½

Honestly, the bad CG makes this so hard to watch. Stick with Carpenters version, it's so much better without this preamble.