• Neal Anderson

★½

How can a film that goes out of its way to completely ape its predecessor simultaneously fail to elicit any of the same suspense or efficacy? This is the question I constantly found myself asking during the entire sluggish run of this pointless remake disguised as a prequel.

I think the main reason Carpenter's superior film works and this one doesn't comes mainly down to two aspects:

1. The titular creature is mishandled terribly, was way too conspicuous, and didn't…

• STARWARSFUR

yikes

• gpalmer82

★★½

Not as horrible as I had been lead to believe. The computer creature effects are a bummer for sure, but the film does work generally, more an ode to late 90's creature flicks than the 1982 film.

• cinemacide

★★★

All in all not a bad prequel to the original despite having zero the pace and practical fx that made the great

• WJWPodcast
  • John Sippel

★★½

Watched right after the original. Bad idea.

• Dead Moon Night

★★★½

You can't compare The Thing 2011 to John Carpenter's masterpiece, and you shouldn't. Because the thing is (ha ha) if you don't, you'll realise that the prequel to The Thing is a really entertaining monster movie!

Here's my review in swedish

• Ryr

★★★★★

It's a great Prequel over the thing.

I kinda like the story, of the movie.

With the backstory of the old movie.

Sure it's not the best movie, but it's great.

• Tyler

2 stars for MEW and that's all I have to say

• Umibozu

★★★½

When this came out in 2011, I never payed any attention to it as I assumed it was a remake of a remake, but recently I discovered that it was actually a prequel, so I decided to give it a look. While it's certainly not on the level of the 81 Thing, it does have some good points. It was nice to have a female protagonist for a change, and it was nice that she didn't turn from scientist to…

• Alfonso C. Lopez

★★★

Entretenida tercera version de "El enigma de otro mundo" que no aporta nada mas que una nave espacial respecto a la de 1982 de Carpenter.

• tommy2movies

½

A terrible remake........a waste of film and a waste of time for anyone sitting through this piece of garbage.