• Steve Dickson

★★★★★

First watch of the new 4k restoration and it looks awesome. Film is of course still awesome as well.

• RobsLib

★★★★½

The Thing just gets better with every viewing. Marvelous.

• Mick Brooks

★★★★★

Holy crapping crap! The new Arrow Blu-ray looks amazeballs!

• T GP

★★★★½

First watch of the Arrow 4K restoration and HOLY BALLS this looks good.
    Carpenter's best film by a long chalk, this comes close to being a perfect 10 out of 10 (I give it 9.5/10) it's well written, brilliantly acted, shot expertly and scored to perfection with unbelievable special effects. Oh and this watch really brought home just how much J&B is swigged, more than most Seventies gialli!

• Daniel J P

★★★★★

“I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time, I’d rather not spend the rest of winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!”

I think I’ve now watched The Thing 9 times, and it never fails to impress and surprise me. There’s always some little touch or extra set piece or line of dialogue I forget is coming. The film is a cinematic landmark that has influenced so much of what was to come in…

• Brandon Smith

★★★★★

Mah shit. Mah shit. Dis mah shit. It's my shit. This is my shit. Did you hear me? This is my shit.
    You knew that.

This was screened for my friends at our 'movie night'

• Kelley Rand

★★★★★

Genuinely awe-inspiring practical effects mesh with an actively scintillating dread that only John Carpenter could bring--so effortlessly--to screen. A timelessly grotesque, hyper-masculine, fiery witch hunt of a pièce de résistance.

[17/31 of Kelley's Hoop-Tober 4.0.1.0]

• Zarah

★★½

Hooptober 4.0 Movie #20

I am so sad that I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought I would.
    I don't even know what the problem was, maybe I had too high expectations, maybe I was just in the wrong mood, maybe I had too little of an attention span for this type of movie today. I don't know, all I know is that I found it tedious, not very engaging and frankly pretty boring. It was not for me at all.

• Anton Bitel

"What follows is a very modern witch hunt, as the station’s men attempt to weed out any trace of that femininity from their ranks, and keep replicating MacReady’s angry attack on the computer with a self-destructive scorched earth policy that will eventually see them burning their whole base down. In the end, only the manliest, most rugged individualists will be left sort-of standing, but even they still eye one another with mistrust and suspicion. After all, nobody is all man (or all woman), and no one can fully escape the alterity within."
    More at Little White Lies

• Stefan Gianferrari

★★½

#Horrorctober Film Nr. 8

Leider trifft The Thing genau das Genre, welches mir am wenigsten zusagt: Trashiger-Sci-Fi-Horror. Obwohl die Settings toll waren und die Figuren nachvollziehbar handelten war ich über weite Strecken gelangweilt. Die trashigen Horrorelemente konnten mich nichtmal im entferntesten schocken. Tut mir leid wenn ich hier das Meisterwerk nicht sehe, welches andere sehen.

• Chris Ward
  • Matthew Riches

★★★★★

Arrow Video 2017 restoration.

What an astonishing film... released the same week as Blade Runner - both under appreciated upon release, both considered masterpieces today.

The arrow restoration is phenomenal, one of the best restorations i’ve ever seen. The effects really pop on this remaster and it’s hard to believe just how well these are held up, i’ve seen CGI less than 5 years old that is more dated.

I’m leaning toward this being a better film than Alien and i never thought i’d say that.