• Daniel Crooke

★★★★★

Women hold the universe together according to the peacock-feathered films of Pedro Almodóvar, and never more earthily or elegant than in his mirrored portraits of multitasking matriarchs putting out the fires of the men around them: 1984’s What Have I Done To Deserve This? and 2006’s Volver. Both domestic dramas with a hint of the supernatural, they showcase a pair of imperfect pragmatists – respectively, Gloria (Carmen Maura) and Raimunda (Penelope Cruz) – caught in the crucible of their everyday…

• camillevandaan

★★★★★

I don't have enough words to describe how amazing this movie was, Penelope Cruz, Carmen Maura and Blanca Portillo were incredible, this is probably my favorite Almodóvar film.

• harlan

★★★★½

penelope cruz is AMAZING in this

• Tony Rittenhouse

★★★★

Movie Club #42

Room Consensus: People warmed to this like I thought they would. The independent females, the bait-and-switch of a thriller premise and the ultimate mystery resolution grounded in relationships and family we appreciated by all.

Tony: Almodóvar's love for women and their stories just clicks with me in a way few filmmakers and their obsessions do. Every male introduced in this film is a red herring, every female has a true point of view and those ideas work…

• Zā

★★★★½

Oh my god. This film is so beautiful both in terms of the script and story and also aesthetics. I'm falling more and more in love Almodovar and his style in film. He has such a talent for bringing characters to life with his beautiful scripts and attention to details.

Penelope Cruz also really blew me away. Of course she was good in All About My Mother, but that was a smaller, quieter role. She took this role and ran…

• Alai

★★★★½

Volver a.k.a Penelope crying, Penelope lying, Penelope burying her husband's corpse. Basically Penelope, and I love it.

• laura

★★★★★

how can a movie be so real and so beautiful at the same time

• dancingclaudia

★★★

movie night at leslie's host mom house!! wasn't expecting the last 20 minutes but it was funny and good

• Collin

★★★★½

I'm convinced Pedro Almodovar can't make a bad movie. Volver is easily one of his best! The entire cast is incredible but Penelope Cruz is unreal. Unconventional ghost stories (Volver, Personal Shopper, A Ghost Story) is my new favorite genre.

• Gregory

★★★★

This was not only beautifully shot, I was also captivated by the story and Penelope Cruz's performance. I'm not sure if the culture was exaggerated, the way the women greet each other with the loud kisses, or their matter of fact reactions to diseases such as dementia and cancer, or even death itself. But hey, it works in this film. Just over two hours and I wanted more.

• Cristiano Antunes

★★★★★

Almodóvar never fails to amaze me. The delicacy in the heartfelt dialogues, the intimacy between the cast, neverending charm of this demi-goddess they call Penelope Cruz. I just love it, nothing left to say.

• fatpie42

★★★½

Best thing: At one point our protagonist plays a bit of a sneaky trick that appealed to me. She pays back some friends more than she owes, saying that she doesn't want them to think she'd ripped them off. But then she immediately ropes them into helping her move a fridge freezer for her.

Worst thing: When Penelope Cruz's character decides to sing it's quite clearly dubbed. I guess Penelope Cruz wasn't a good enough singer for them to just…