• Andrew Sztehlo

★★★

Possibly the most thoroughly entertaining and bloodthirsty film I've ever seen about small-village life in the U.K.

• jundai

★★★★

One of the most shockingly violent films I recall seeing. Also the best wartime propaganda film I've seen (note: I've still not seen Triumph of the Will).

Went the Day Well? feels very much like an Ealing film. The characterisation of the small village, the chit-chat between neighbours, and the general mix of earnestness and light humour feels very familiar. When the Germans first arrive in the town disguised as British soldiers, there's little hint that anything more serious than…

• simon evans

★★★½

Great British institution movie Went the Day Well tells the tale of a small English village being taken over by a German fifth regiment disguising themselves as Home Guard soldiers. Quite dark, violent and disturbing for the time and even has a 'Stepford Wives' vibe as the villagers fight back against the German Reich. Stiff upper lip to the fore and thoroughly entertaining stuff on this very good restoration blu ray print from the BFI.

• DanielMattock

There's a lot of love for its hidden hilariocity. There's a lot to throw disdain for that hilariocity.

A neatly cohesive execution is what it  mostly needs if you went searching for within this film. Too often we have immersion and then something painfully silly such as ametur acting and editing.

I don't wish to throw the film under the nearest guillotine but I thought I'd ought to mention it.

Release the blade.

• Bradley Edwards

Unintentionally funny

• Sam_Ashby

★★★

Screaming army men... They all sound the same.

• Tom Prankerd

★★★★½

Smashing propaganda-tinged war thriller; the strength lies not just in the cracking premise and razor-sharp script but also the subversion and then reaffirmation of English village life. A plethora of winning characters and pariseworthy suspense sequences really add to a ripping story.

• Travis Clark

★★★★

For a little while I was constantly having to readjust my expectation for this one. I first I was thinking it was going to be a cute little bit of British wartime fun (sort of a dramatic World War II set The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!); then when the Germans lock things down fairly early I expected more of a wartime adventure, where someone sneaks off to the neighboring town for help, and though that of course…

• Benedict K-S

★★★½

Wartime propagandist drama-thriller with surprisingly bleak twists and turns, ratcheting things up in the final third - pretty explicitly violent for a film made in this era!

A taut little story by Graham Greene competently handled by both director and cast. A very British curio, and with more charm than you might expect (though it is an Ealing production).

• Vincent Mollica

★★½

Very charming, and as an Ealing fan I like the general style. Still felt pretty slight, and I was almost completely turned off by the domestic gun fetishization at the end.

• Steve G

★★★½

Films I Watched On TCM / Film4 While I Was 'Working'

The film title responsible for Yoda's speech patterns, presumably.

Went The Day Well? is a pretty daft little film and its unofficial usage as a WW2 propaganda film is obvious from its silly to-camera introduction by Mervyn Johns. A really unnecessary bit that rather tramples quite significantly on any pretensions this might have had to be regarded as a serious war film, although plenty of other stuff happens to…

• sagraham

★★★

Made during WW2 but felt later.