• mahandhi

★★★★

Ik had te grote verwachtingen na A Brighter Summer Day. Ik verwachte een soort halfgoddelijke cinema-ervaring, en het duurde een halfslachtige anderhalf uur voor ik mee was. Er zit genoeg materiaal in voor 4 films, het gaat over de grote menselijke thema's en het is geweldig in beeld gebracht met zowat enkel masters, maar A Brighter Summer Day is toch nog een klasse apart.

• Callum Chung

★★★★★

Really beautiful stuff. This is a fantastic film. It’s a really stunning and low-key family drama that I think does an amazing job at making you care about each character. Each of them have distinct and emotionally compelling stories. I won’t lie and say I didn’t relate to the sentiments of some of them but my point still stands. This is a really quiet, reflective and contemplative film. There’s some heartwarming moments but there are also some really heartbreaking moments.…

• kavyashah

★★★★½

Absolutely gorgeous the only 3 hour film I'd rewatch without a second thought

• Jeffrey Smith

★★★★★

Life is beautiful. It’s mundane and monotonous, but it’s beautiful. Every morning, I wake to seek the “life” part of life. It’s a refreshing reminder that this world, filled with corruption and hatred, and love and compassion, is worth living in. On the busy streets, people come and go. Do you ever ask yourself, “What life are they living?” A depressed man sips his morning coffee after another lonely night in his apartment, while the young girl holds her father’s…

• Ex Εf Ex

★★★½

The "wise little boy" cliché undermines the movie, but it's still an emotionally captivating film, despite or rather thanks to the sparse action and long running time.

• ianloring

★★★★

Had to break it up into seperate pieces which probably hurt the spell it was trying to conjure but I REALLY liked the last hour or so.

• sallly

★★★★

how is every shot in a 3 hour film so beautiful? how is this film so captivating even tho nothing happens? so many reflections and repetitions and vaguely mirrored storylines... epic

• michael_g_scott

★★★★½

"there is no cloud, no tree that isnt beautiful, so we should be too"
    A rollercoaster of emotions.
    Everything about this movie has its own beauty.
    Such a simple concept but such a deep movie.
    Absolutely stunning

• Tom Anning

★★★½

I'm sorry this film didn't change my life.

I've been thinking a lot about Yi Yi in the few weeks since I watched it. Is there something I was missing? Did I take things too literally? Do all the characters actually represent my different body parts? or the members of Taiwanese Parliament? Probably not. It's probably just a family drama with a lot of depth that's worth reflecting on. Marriage is hard. Being a teenager is hard. Trying to earn…

• Toro Barragán

★★★★★

I will protect Yang-Yang with all my might

• irisfarrington

★★★★★

i don’t know this could be a new favourite, i think i need to let it sit for a while.
    every character has something to relate to and every scene has a purpose.
    i feel like this could be rewatched at different points in your life and you’ll find a new way to relate to it or a new meaning.

• Harsh

★★★★★

Beautiful, painful and powerful. It's perfect.