Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★

I am very mixed here. Tarantino's latest contains a lot of what you'd expect from the acclaimed filmmaker. The cast and music are excellent, there are a lot of shots of feet, and there is plenty of cursing and a dose of hyper violence at the end. What I didn't expect was how aimless this story was.

There was very little stitching this narrative together, it comes across as a collection of unrelated scenes. Plotlines meet dead ends, most characters don't grow or develop, and there was a lack of the typical Tarantino snappy dialogue. The middle act of this film could've cut 20-30 minutes and almost nothing would change.

But what holds this together is those terrific performances specifically. DiCaprio and Pitt are a mesmerizing duo, and prove they are two of the best actors working today. Pretty much everyone outside them are reduced to cameos, including Margot Robbie's Sharon Tate.

The recreation of the 1960's setting added a lot to the experience. Plus the final twenty minutes are so amazing that I would be willing to call it one of Tarantino's most satisfying and well executed scenes to date.

I'll have to rewatch this and determine whether it deserves to be in the upper or lower half of the director's works. For now it sits in the middle.

DannyOMovieGuy liked these reviews