Cube Zero ★★

I asked for it, and they gave it to me - MORE CUBE.

This is a weird one, in that it REALLY goes hard at trying to explain the greater mythology of CUBE (something we don't need at all but I'm happy to have) and kind of goes overboard in doing so. They introduce a bunch of elements that then need explaining and don't really add anything. And then ultimately do something in the end that might lead you to believe this is a prequel, but that still doesn't really make sense given what we're presented. If you've seen this you probably know what I'm talking about, so I'll leave it at that.

So all of that being said, there's a lot to really like here, especially coming off of CUBE 2. The traps are back and they're GOOPY AS FUCK. Yes, I said goopy. The gore FX in this are GROSS; well beyond what we're given in the first one. This is a good thing. There's also a crazy mad scientist type character played by Michael Riley who is chewing the hell out of a deliciously cheesy character, and he's so much fun.

For a movie that's trying to explore stuff that didn't need exploring, I wish it did a better job. But I ain't mad at it, it brings back some of the elements that were missing from CUBE 2 and mostly just has fun with the premise. It's lacking the social commentary of the original, as it seems all CUBE sequels are destined to do, but it's still a fun time.

I just love CUBES y'all.

Extremely Kel Mitchell voice: I'm a Cube. He's a Cube. She's a Cube. We're all Cubes. HEY!