One of the most impressive things about 2001 is that it is so amazingly futuristic and ambitious that despite being seventeen years removed from the year 2001, the title alone still brings to mind the wonders of the future. We still haven't reached the titular 2001 despite the year itself having come and gone.
This movie is terrible, with bad lead performances by Brad Renfro and Ian McKellan. The basic plot is asinine (I have your finger prints so tell me about being a Nazi), and where things end isn't any better. Then in addition to the quality of the movie is the added baggage of the shower scene lawsuit, the allegations against Bryan Singer, and the death of Brad Renfro a decade later, making this an unappealing watch.
Things I would do differently.
1. Remove the food from the freezer where they put the bodies.
2. Build the wall out of something stronger than cardboard.
3. Close and seriously board up the doors behind the built wall.
4. Seduce Francine away from Flyboy.
5. Take all the guns out of the gun store.
6. Never take off the fur coat.
7. Eat a whole ton of cheese.
Michael Myers is said to be 21 by Dr. Loomis in the film, but then in the credits there is a credit for a 23 year old Michael Myers. I find this confusing, but also depressing. I find it depressing because whether he is 21 or 23 I am still older than Michael Myers, and he has accomplished way more in his life than I have.