My Soul to Take ★★★★

Somewhere within this film is a coherent story, but I'm not sure if this movie was coherent, I would enjoy it as much as I do.

Starting off with an absolutely bizarre and kind of insane opening sequence, My Soul to Take then becomes this weird supernatural slasher movie that is full of elements that have nothing to do with, well, anything. There's a whole subplot about some bird that is stupid, as is the subplot about the so called "revolution" against the popular girl in school named Fang. Any exposition that actually pertains to the central story is either completely forced, or revealed through dialogue, which of course is terrible.

Still, I really dig this film. The casting of all the kids is pretty solid, and it is nice to see kids getting murdered in a high school movie that actually appear to be the age of their characters. Also the dialogue is solid, and whether on purpose or not, also pretty hilarious. There's a line by the ripper after he guts the jock character that absolutely kills me every time.

Looking at Wes Craven's more recent filmography, I feel no problem in writing that My Soul to Take is his best film since 1996's Scream. I don't think this has anything to do with Craven though. I think it has more to do with the fact that fate/pure dumb luck resulted in a bunch of horrible elements being combined in the film to make something that is extremely watchable.

FilmApe liked these reviews