Parasite ★★★★½

Parasite is a film that defies explanation as much as it does genre. On the surface, it appears to be a black dramedy about a family manipulating a wealthy household but there's so much more going on. Despite this, I don't dare spoil what writer/director Bong Joon-ho has to offer with Parasite. The film is even preceded by a message from Joon-ho explaining that "Parasite can be enjoyed the most vividly and simultaneously when watched without any previous information" and after having seen the film; this rings entirely true. It's not that the film all hinges on one twist or anything but just the progression of events had me constantly guessing where things would go next and literally at the edge of my seat.

Performances are all around amazing. Each character brings enough of their own magic to the table that they all remain memorable and only heighten how they're written. Particular shoutouts go to Song Kang-ho as the core family's father and Cho Yeo-jeong as the mother of the wealthy family. Their roles both could have easily been misconstrued as caricatures by the actors yet their performances never ring inauthentic and truly bring a humanity to the characters despite the occasional absurdity.

While I refuse to specifically mention much about Parasite what I can say is this; do not view it alone. Not because it's scary but because you will NEED someone to discuss it with afterwards.