Stalker

Stalker ★★★★

"Is this surreal life? Is this just fantasy?" Part 26 of ? - 2019: The Year of Surreal and Obscure Film.

"When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder."

Without a doubt, one of the most gorgeously photographed films I have ever seen. Every shot has a lot to take in. Though the film has a very thin plot, it does deliver sociological and psychological analyzing through dialogue. At times, it feels like an exploration into the human psyche. The film spends the majority of its run-time exploring 'The Zone' and the depths of the minds of the three men; The Writer, The Professor, and The Stalker. There are a lot of ideologies spread throughout that have no doubt created countless debates and conversations among its fans and film enthusiasts. The element that kept me engaged was the attention to building upon this fear or doom, and how prevalent it was through the camerawork. Almost every shot felt stationary, but was always pulling inward; as if some 'thing' or "stalker" were watching and trying to pay careful attention. I find it to be quite intriguing: a noteworthy film to be viewed by all cinephiles.

"You can't be happy at the expense of other's unhappiness.