Everybody Wants Some!! ★★★★½

Quickie Review
So this is the movie that caused a brouhaha here at Letterboxd, eh? Upon watching the movie for the first time this morning, I can tell you that there are lesser movies to be starting drama over. I just hope that it's nothing similar to this because if we don't have anything nice to say about a simple coming of age college comedy, what's the point of saying anything at all? With that out of the way, on to my thoughts on Richard Linklater's "spiritual sequel" to Dazed and Confused. I liked it more than I thought I was going to. I went into this, expecting a by-the-numbers guys' comedy, but it's genuinely funny and has some heart to it. The cast is terrific (Blake Jenner, Zoey Deutch & Glen Powell need to be bigger stars!) and Linklater's direction and screenwriting, in my honest opinion, is lot better here than in Boyhood, a film that I'm NOT entirely a fan of. Plus, the end credits freestyle was pretty cool. "Everybody Wants Some!!" is nothing to get worked up over, nothing to cause friction between everyone, nothing to lose our cool over. It's just a fun, enjoyable, easygoing and surprisingly sharp college comedy and that should be enough.

Keith liked these reviews