Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell ★★★½

Quickie Review
After all this time, I finally got around to this. Now, what do I think of it? Well, it's fine. Nothing groundbreaking but it does its best, even when it tries too hard. Based on the influential anime and manga of the same name, the live-action film follows Major (Scarlett Johansson), who's the first of her kind: a human that survived a devastating crash and was cyber-enhanced to be the perfect soldier devoted to stopping the world's most dangerous criminals. She's a damn good agent but when she learns that her life wasn't saved but stolen, her world is turned upside down and she'll stop at nothing to find out the truth about her life. There's some good action in this movie and the visuals are nothing short of dazzling, with the most fantastic futuristic landscape since Blade Runner. However, some of the film does collapse under the weight of convolution and soft edges. Even more so, we got The Matrix and other science fiction films that have been influenced by the original Ghost In The Shell so most of this live-action film may be considered a little bit unnecessary to some. Aside from that, Scarlett Johansson does a terrific job as Major. Ghost In The Shell isn't breaking the wheel in terms of adaptations but it does its source material better than previous live-action anime adaptations. And to get the elephant in the room out of the room, no, I don't have a problem with Major and a few select characters being played by white actors and you shouldn't, either.

Keith liked these reviews