Possessor

Possessor ★★★★

Quickie Review
It took me a while before writing this review to process what I saw and now that I have, I can honestly say that Brandon Cronenberg is as big a mind fucker as his father David, the elder statesman of mind fucking. I mean, he mind fucked me and didn’t even bother to give my mind a post-cerebral coitus breakfast and a kiss. Yeah, it’s THAT tense. Anyway, from writer/director Brandon Cronenberg, from the studios that brought you The Lodge, Colossal and the Ip Man franchise comes this mind-bending, visceral and extremely gruesome thriller which follows Andrea Riseborough’s character Tasya Vos, an assassin in an alternate 2008 who takes control of other people’s bodies to carry out her kills by using a special machine that inserts her consciousness into their minds and she returns to her own body by forcing the host to commit suicide at the end of the job. But when Vos takes over the body and mind of Colin Tate (Christopher Abbott), the fiancé of the daughter (Tuppence Middleton) of a wealthy CEO (Sean Bean), that’s when things get out of control. I don’t want to go any further because there’s many twists and turns but I will definitely tell y’all this: it’s tense, taut, trippy and so brutally and graphically violent that there are two versions of the film released, a R-rated cut that’s on Hulu and an uncut version that’s available on Blu-ray and for purchase on digital platforms. Be forewarned: it’ll fuck your mind and you won’t know it until it’s over. Just check out Possessor and just brace yourselves.

Keith liked these reviews