Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles

Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles ★★★★★

I watched it weeks ago but forgot to log (not because it isn't any good). It most definitely is.

I've never reviewed any of her films on my blog, though I've seen a fair few it's mostly just because I've never really sat down to it, I always thought of some other film first. Though It's added to my ever-expanding list of films to talk about at some point.

Anytime I see anything of hers, I'm marveled by her eye and mind. She had a singular voice. I'm not overly patriotic or anything like that, but being Belgian I'm kind of saddened that whenever "the best Belgian directors" she is never amongst them.

Everyone knows the Dardenne brothers. I wonder how many Belgians have heard of her. I have never read anything on her in a Belgian film magazine not even in a Wallonian one (Wallonia is the French-speaking part of Belgian) She seems a bit better known outside of the country, but still she deserved much much more recognition.

Onto the film itself, it's excruciatingly boring to sit through. I almost wanted to literally jump up from my sofa during several moments.

It's almost torture. But that's its genius: it puts you into her shoes, into her life which is a kind of eternal torture. Every day is the same. She carries out the same routine every day.

Consisting of the same mindless tasks that women are supposed to carry out traditionally without question.

Of course, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with enjoying household tasks. But she has nothing else. There is no sprinkle of joy, distraction or variation. That is until the very powerful second half of the film arrives. Which I won't spoil here, suffice it to say that this film is a masterpiece.

Ayla liked these reviews