Wrath of Man

Wrath of Man ★★★★

Entertainingly intense, consistently thrilling, and slickly directed, Wrath of Man is a solidly well-crafted heist thriller from Guy Ritchie. I can definitely say that I've been a long-time fan of Guy Ritchie's movies. Although the latter half of his career is moreso hit or miss, I absolutely love his earlier works with gems like Snatch or Lock, Stock. Recently, last year's The Gentleman really brought back that same Ritchie magic. Going into Wrath of Man, I was hoping for the same, and thankfully, this movie delivered. Wrath of Man is a sleek, action-packed heist thriller that reunites Ritchie with action legend Jason Statham. It's been a while since the two have paired up, but luckily, Wrath of Man proves the Ritchie-Statham energy still hasn't missed a beat. The film is a remake of the 2004 French film, Cash Truck, and follows a well-skilled new-hire armored truck security guard whose mysterious presence alarms his co-workers. His past and his hidden agenda soon come to the surface as body counts pile-up during robberies that he stops. Ritchie aims for a more serious and grim heist movie, while still maintaining a few humorous lines of dialogue that are pure Guy Ritchie. Jason Statham is of course badass to watch. This is a role that he's mastered at this point in his career and still manages to remain intimidating as ever. The movie does a good job of maintaining the mystery of his character, depicting him in this almost symbolic-light, a dark spirit personified. The editing plays out in non-linear style as Ritchie commonly loves to play with narrative structure/time jumps back and forth. I personally dig the editing in Ritchie's films quite a bit and Wrath of Man didn't disappoint in that aspect. The heist scenes and the action scenes overall were viscerally satisfying and tightly explosive. The shootout in the armored truck depot is hands done one of my favorite action scenes of the year. Yeah, the film hits several familiar storytelling beats, but for me, it all comes down to execution, and Ritchie once again handled certain genre tropes with stylishly commendable flair.

My Rating: 8.5/10