Like Me ★★★

Way back in March of 2013, we featured a plucky little short film on our Kickstart Sunday feature called Like Me, a thriller about a girl obsessed with gathering a social media following by perpetuating an ever-increasing series of crimes.

Now, writer/director/producer/editor Robert Mockler has finished the project, which has evolved into a feature film with Larry Fessenden’s Glass Eye Pix backing it. Its festival run has officially begun, with its premiere recently taking place at SXSW 2017 and also screening at the inaugural Overlook Film Festival.

Like Me tells the story of Kiya, a lost young woman who craves attention on the internet and begins her path to infamy by terrorizing a sloppy gas station attendant played by The Battery’s Jeremy Gardner. After getting millions of views, she decides to up her game by kidnapping a pervy motel manager, played by Fessenden, and torturing him before taking him on a road trip.

The most striking element of the film, and the thing that drew me to it back in 2013, was its out-of-control visual style. Drenched in neon and littered with surrealist nightmare imagery, the film looks like a version of Natural Born Killers remade for the digital age. Equals parts alluring and disturbing, the music video style lends itself perfectly to the narrative: a girl so consumed with YouTube fame that she completely loses her grip on reality.

Full Review: Film Pulse