Django Unchained

Django Unchained ★★★★

Billy Crash: "D-JANGO! YOU BLACK SON-OF BITCH!"

Django: "The 'D' is silent Hillbilly"

I wasn't very sure about this on first viewing at the cinema. Maybe I was tired or uncomfortable. Maybe the inconsiderate individual sat next to me on his mobile telephone was distracting me from taking in the delights of Quentin Tarantino's seventh studio film in all it's bloody splattering glory? Maybe all of the above.

Tarantino's Django, is a concoction of spaghetti western, slavery and humour, fully laced with that QT dialogue we've all become accustomed to (and love). With gorgeous cinematography, it's hard not to fall in love with this world the artist formally known as Mr Brown has created/adapted/borrowed/pillaged.

Whilst I've still got issues with the pacing, more specifically, of the lead up in getting to Monsieur Candie's plantation, ridiculous dubbed; Candie Land, and also the silly dancing horse scene at the end, however, Django is a lot of fun, but never at the expense of the subject matter. Yes, it's violent. Yes it uses the 'N' word a lot, during slavery that's how it was. Thankfully, slavery is no longer apart of society and that horrid word is not acceptable today as it once was 200 some-odd years ago. Some of chosen music for the film was a mis-fire, too. Rick Ross and Tupac? It didn't really work for me. Usually QT gets it just right, just listen to the soundtracks to Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and Death Proof. The man knows his onions.

Although Jamie Foxx plays our titular hero, Django, albeit, in a slightly under used character, yet make no mistake about it, the film belongs to DiCaprio and Waltz. Every single scene, every single line of dialogue, they own. The scenes they have together are like dynamite, you know eventually something explosive is going to happen. Of course, it eventually does.
Once again, Quentin Tarantino delivers a highly infectious, enjoyable film. Now having revisited and fully appreciated Django Unchained, I might be inclined to re-arrange my Tarantino top 5.

Baz liked these reviews