Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★★½

Yeah, deary me this was really fantastic. Stories like this are always so interesting to me, and the direction from Shaka King to keep it so focused on Fred Hampton and Bill O'Neal makes for nothing short of an incredible experience. The acting is great around the board but of course Daniel Kaluuya and LaKeith Stanfield who are always brilliant are again brilliant here. Through them we see this period of history from two very distinct but personal perspectives and it culminates into such a poignant piece. Jesse Plemons and Martin Sheen in this as well round out the involvement of the FBI and are both so phenomenally evil that there is so much tension and weight in seemingly every single scene, even when we know there's no reason to be cautious at all.

There is so much complexity to this era of the US (all eras to be clear, though this period is exceptionally layered) that any sort of introspection to a specific group or people of interest is guaranteed to deliver and Judas and the Black Messiah is no exception. This didn't change any opinions I had, but it certainly reinforced and strengthened them and I highly value the ability for it to draw so many thoughts and emotions from me over the course of those 2 hours. In addition to those things, it's spectacular on all technical fronts and I struggle to find any significant faults with the film. I can't wait to revisit this already and I can't wait for oscar night to see my boy Kaluuya take home Best Supporting Actor.

Aydan liked these reviews