Paris, Texas ★★★★½

8.8/ 10

Points:

The film took me completely off guard when it finished, it was nearly 2 and a half hours long but it felt like 1 and a half, I could easily have watched another hour. (Next time I watch the film, knowing where it ends, I'll be prepared to have have a different emotional reaction knowing it)

The second scene between Harry Dean Stanton and Natassja Kinski in the booth was one of the best scenes I have ever seen in cinema. The acting (and script) was absolutely phenomenonal. When Kinski began to cry, so did I. (The long takes were also superb in creating the atmosphere.)

Every shot could be framed, Robby Müller is simply amazing. The cinematography reminded me of Stephen Shore or William Egglestons road trip photogrpahy of ordinary America(na). It could honestly be my favourite cinematography in any film.

I feel this film has the potential to become one of my favourites, but I did before I saw it anyway, I thought it would become an immediate one but it didn't hit me as much as I thought it would, however this may be due to me over hyping it.
Despite all this, I sense that the film won't leave my mind, being a conscious fixture of my thoughts for the next few weeks possibly. I can't wait to return to it in a few years, perhaps for a more emotional experience.

Finally, I had planned to watch this film, today, on the final day of school, before breaking up for the summer, today I found out this exact day is Harry Dean Stanton's birthday. So, happy birthday Harry Dean Stanton.

Finlay liked these reviews