Marona's Fantastic Tale ★★★★½

Wow this is magnificent. Truly one-of-a-kind animation storytelling. One of the most uniquely imaginative, trippy, fascinating, entrancing, beautiful, clever animated films I have ever seen. They way they use all these different styles and techniques to tell this story of a dog is astonishing, every frame moves right into the next with so much going on and interconnecting and blending. I think it's pretty much perfect, though there are a few story beats that are drawn out too long. But other than that I'd say this is an instant classic, a remarkable animated creation that will be loved for years to come. There's so many wonderful life lessons in this, not just about caring for a dog, but about how to live as a human and what matters the most. The character design is so mind-bending mad and gorgeous all at once, I was constantly in awe, waiting to find out what we'd see in every new scene. There's so much creativity and style throughout in the way they visualize concepts and ideas. I could go on and on, this film is really something special. It's not the easiest to watch and the dog isn't the cutest but it's still marvelous.

Alex liked this review