Men in Black: International

Men in Black: International ★★½

Men in Black: International brings us yet another entry in a franchise that is mostly being kept alive by a distant sense of nostalgia for the original. Needless to say, I don’t think anyone really wanted this sequel (spin-off? Reboot?), and, honestly, I think we can all agree that the rumored Jump Street and MIB crossover film would’ve been a better and more interesting direction to take the franchise.  Nonetheless, we got this film instead.

As expected, the film played, looked, and felt like the typical summer blockbuster I would expect for the franchise. However, IMO it was more reminiscent of blockbusters of the earlier 2000s in its tone compared to something I would expect to see in 2019.  Some of that worked, some didn’t.

What really didn’t work was the writing. It never attempted, at all, to step away from the predictable and unoriginal path it set for itself.  It was a story I’ve seen countless times before.  The writing often backed itself into corners that needed to introduce coincidental plot elements in order to push the story further and out of the hole it fell into.

The CGI for the most part was decent when it was just focusing on one element or creature, but in any scene that relied on a green screen it looked unquestionably bad (once again giving it an early 2000s vibe).

Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson were fine on their own, however their chemistry was questionable and I never truly bought into it. It never felt they were in sync, nor did I feel they played off of each other very well.

For all of the bad, there were enough entertaining moments to salvage the film from the intergalactic trash heap it would inevitably have fallen into.

Chadwin liked these reviews