Spotlight ★★★½

This is one of those movies that clearly are good. No discussion. Good dramatic structure, good performances, hardly any issues. Yet it's not really gripping you, the viewer is an observer, watching something unfold he already read or at least heard about.

It is no wonder that this won Best Motion Picture at the Oscars since it hits all the marks necessary. It's not a very bold movie though, never at any moment taking risks and at the end of the day not standing out against other movies of it's year (in my case, since I live in Germany, 2016). Ten years from now I will revisit other films like Anomalisa, L'avenir or Fuocoammare more likely than Spotlight. It won't even become a classic like All the President's Men.

Does it have to be? Probably not. Does it not deserve its Oscar? Sure it does, who cares, it's just the Oscar. But watching a film like Audrie & Daisy the day before and feeling the usual kind of rage that I feel when watching documentaries about brushed over rape cases I was utterly detached by my viewing experience from Spotlight. It delivered a different perspective on a topic I already visited with Amy Berg's Deliver Us From Evil which was released ten years ago.

As much as I enjoyed Liev Schreiber's performance his sudden "let's report this" when no one at the Globe gave a shit came rather hasty. Mark Ruffalo's performance was at times irritating and Rachel McAdams felt kind of underused as she does a lot of times. Would've liked to see a follow-up on her interview with that one priest, too.

Bottom line: this could just as easily be a 4/5 movie than it is a 3.5/5 – yet I'm inclined to the inferior rating since ultimately I will be more likely to pop in my copy of Deliver Us From Evil than watching Spotlight again.