Patty Hearst

Patty Hearst ★★½

Based on the true story of the kidnapping of heiress Patty Hearst and her Stockholm Syndrome which lead to her joing her kidnappers in the guerrilla group Symbionese Liberation Army.

Due to her kidnapping, the demands given out to her family for her safe return, the photographs of her helping commit crimes made Patty Hearst a media sensation and obsession of the time. Eventually caught and imprisoned for her role in robbing banks her trial brought out the fact that she was suffering from Stockholm Syndrome which many folks weren't familiar with at the time. (They were still arresting SLA memebers for their crimes in the early 2000s. Amazing.) I guess it's up to the viewer to decide if they believe that Hearst was indeed a victom of Stockholm Syndrome. Some people still debate that.

I didn't like this film. It was a bit disjointed at times. It did do a good job at showing you how Hearst was brainwashed, locked in a closet, blindfolded and tied up, constantly hearing about how the SLA were doing great things, fighting off the pigs. Those scenes were well done. The acting was good but the film relied to much on a sorta documentary feel which left it feeling hollow. I don't hate it but I don't like it either.