Don't Look Up

Don't Look Up ★★½

I admit I was prepared to hate Don't Look Up after reading some reviews, and while that isn't the case, I came out from it with pretty mixed feelings.
The criticisms towards politicians, tech billionaires, media and misinformation campagins are all warranted, but they are nothing more than surface level references to our current reality that the target audience of this film already knows about. To be fair, McKay does poke fun at liberals too, but more important than critizing political affiliations, should be the systemic conditions that allow and encourage the profit motive that leads to the film's climax.
There are like two mentions of capitalism throughout, which are aren't really fully examined. The most evident is a subplot regarding the extraction of minerals, which seems like a reference to the US's involvement in Afghanistan, except it's pretty dumb, since it would mean the politicians betting with their own lives, which is the last thing they would do, and drives the fact that most of these characters act like caricatures, lessening the impact of the satire. It's written as if only these specific characters would do this, and a simple change of administration would be the solution, without examining the system that motivates it all.
On the technical side, McKay juggles with a lot and does mostly fine. There is a well communicated sense of anxiety in the first act that helps the audience make sense of the scope of the main conflict, and the myriad of consequences that ensue.
The editing is all over the place. There are a few cuts that I found really effective, but others were fucking abysmal. Like they were doing shit at random.
The cast ranges from bad (Rylance) to underutilized (Chalamet, Blanchett, Perlman) to hit-or-miss (Hill, Streep) to good (Lawrence, Morgan, DiCaprio).
There were a few human moments I thought gave the film a needed emotional connection, but some of them were ruined through the editing.
I dug some aspects of the ending (those that earned comparisons to Melancholia) but they're also ruined, this time by not knowing when to end, and consequently minimizing any impact it could've had, if they knew when to cut.
It has it's entertaining moments for sure, the comedy mostly works, but the tone-deaf, toothless satire leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Maybe best described as 2021's Green Book. So, it will probably win Best Picture.

2021 Releases Ranked