It's Such a Beautiful Day

It's Such a Beautiful Day ★★★★★

It's Such a Beautiful Day feels like a film everyone should watch. It's life affirming but actively trying not to be life changing, it doesn't talk down to you but seems to talk highly of you. It's simply a privilege to watch this not only on the big screen with a full presentation around it featuring two of Don Hertzfeldt's shorts, along with a picture of a Koala bear and footage of the 2007 Wisconsin's Cat Show, but at all in general, and I wish that I get the chance to watch it again and again as time goes by.

It's Such a Beautiful Day is about a stick man called Bill who's suffering from a terminal illness, his story is chronicled through three chapters (all individual shorts) as we see his life through meaningless random anecdotes, surreal flashbacks from his past that he could of unwillingly made up and daydreams and delusions that get far more vivid and blend with his monotonous life.

The film starts off heavily humorous with dark imagery blended with non-events that are expertly mistimed for maximum awkward laughter. The film has a strange sense of reality to it that feels close to the heart, partly because the surreal imagery is set within an understandable context and the animation is so deadpan bland and minimalistic that you get a sense of a real story told in a hyper-stylistic way.

I'm telling you, if you're at all interested in surreal films, It's Such a Beautiful Day is one of the most perfect examples of it, everything feels just relevant enough to have a sense of meaning and a slice of contextual comedy to it, but is random enough to upset, unnerve and linger on the mind.

It's Such a Beautiful Day is a film that demands to be seen, and after you've done that, it's a film that you'll demand yourself to see again and again.

Foggy liked these reviews