The Double Life of Véronique

The Double Life of Véronique ★★★★

I'll be honest, I didn't fully understand this enigmatic piece of work, I actually carelessly dived straight into it due to the simple fact that it was incoming a week since I last saw a full film, so I flung this in with little pre-warm up entertainment. And to be fair, it had been a while since I last saw a film like this.

Seeming to tackle ideas of fate and control of our lives, via those who care for us or people complete detached from our lives. The film is utterly absorbing, yet very structureless, I was genuinely surprised when the film ended, as I felt I still had another 20 minutes to go, and would of been happy to see it play out further, but instead the mysteries in the film are left to be unlocked through re-watches and analysis.

Acting is perfect from the lead, in one of the most powerful performances I've seen, you genuinely feel that her life has changed although nothing has changed except her connection to it somehow, and that she honestly doesn't know why she feels the way she does.

And the cinematography is elegantly framed and adds to absorbing nature of the film. Again, I wish I was a little tuned into the film and the themes to begin breaking down some of the recurring symbolism but alas another time.

The Double Life of Veronique is a great piece of cinema and raw power in the performance that had me completely intrigued and very much gripped, and I'm hoping soon I will see the subtlety running underneath it.

Foggy liked these reviews