The Northman

The Northman ★★★★

The Northman is Robert Eggers' venture into a more action-heavy spectacle, rather than another entry in his masterclass indie horror catalog, in this case that's not a bad thing. Robert Eggers' is one of my favorite directors and to say I simply love his work would be an understatement. Both The VVitch and The Lighthouse are some of the best horror films ever made, so as you can imagine my expectations for this were fairly high.

The entire cast of this film were fantastic, there wasn't a single weak performance found in this entire film and everyone was on their A game. The action choreography was decent, it's more about the way it was presented rather than the fights themselves, but the pure brutality of the film stuck out as something that set the tone perfectly. The way the characters gutturally screech at points managed to send shivers up my spine with how "primal" the characters in the film were presented. The film's score is truly a masterclass as even a few hours after seeing it I can still distinctly hum parts of certain themes from the film.

I know this film is lower budgeted, but the large amounts of CG used during certain sections took me out at points. There's a particular scene in mind during the climax of the film that had it's impact dampened significantly due to it's poor CG. I won't spoil it, but It happens at a really important part of the film, but I couldn't take it completely serious due to how it looked. Other than that there isn't a whole lot else to complain about with the film, it's definitely not The Lighthouse of The VVitch, but it's a solid inclusion to Robert Eggers' filmography.

Block or Report