Judas and the Black Messiah

Judas and the Black Messiah ★★★★

If a film and its filmmakers aren't at all interested in further advancing the struggle/politics of the historical figures it represents, are they not needlessly traumatizing their intended Black audiences? Although Judas is about a Black revolutionary, Communisst, radicals and Marxist-Leninists - as Hampton himself was - are certainly not the target audience of these films. Rather these are Hollywood's attempt at showing their alliance of reactionary movements like #BLM. They'll make as many movies as possible, even if it's about a Communist who was incredibly critical of the hegemonic power of American media, just because they've slowly become aware that non-Whiteness is "cool"/it's profitable now.

One needs to question the role of these movies in our society. As my rating shows, I loved it but I am getting tired, to say the least, of these types of films which sensationalize heroes who were wrongfully killed by the U.S. State and don't challenge us to be critical or even oppositional to this reality at all.

My Podcast Review