Parasite ★★★★½

I've been postponing watching Parasite, one of my most anticipated films of the year, for quite a while but I finally did.
This movie floored me. And it affected me in ways I didn't thought it would.

Bong Joon-ho is one of our generations best director's and one of the few I think can pull off the deliberately slow transition from a laugh out loud comedy, into a dead serious tragedy without ever being jarring, and Parasite isn't the exception. And out of all of his movies (featuring an unstoppable monster, a dystopian sci-fi or an almost Nazi concentration camp of innocent animals), this narrative turn was the most impactful.

Ho really went all the way with exploring through this characters the themes of class and the flawed system they are part in. Whether we see the apathy and prejudice of the high, the lack of solidarity from the low, and the disturbing spaces between those two; all of these themes hit hard. Because no matter how insane it gets by the end, it's believable and feels real to borederline social horror.

Needless to say all of the performances are incredible (Song Kang-ho is always a charming presence but with a darker edge this time); the characterization from both ends of the social spectrum are well realized, three dimensional and morally complex; the technical aspects from the unsettling music by Jeong Jae-il, to the energetic yet creeping cinematography and camerawork by Hong Kyung-pyo (who did last year's Burning), to the masterful pacing (132 minutes flew by) are all excellent.

To be honest I have no flaws with this one. It's absolutely hilarious (wonder if ho was inspired by Dirty Rotten Scoundrels for the first half) until it isn't, and even then it's still wildly entertaining while being thought-provoking and timely as well.

Franklin liked these reviews