Don't Look Up

Don't Look Up ★★★

I get why this movie is super divisive. Totally get some people loving and some people hating this shit as I’ve been seeing. As of now I’m somewhere in the middle although honestly I can see myself hating this the more it sits with me and/or on rewatches. Adam McKay swings for the fences. His political satire is a dark bold audacious intelligent hysterical (I’m still laughing at the 3 star general charging them for snacks at the White House) and painfully honest look at social media, mainstream media, celebrity/Hollywood/music/reality tv, politics, tech, corporations and a lot of others (not many are spared) influence that has dumbed down, and divided America. I think the flick’s tagline is pretty spot on and kind of brilliant. “Based on truly possible events.” Hollywood/Adam McKay’s (who is as subtle as a jackhammer)  “Orange Man Bad” schtick is really played out tho and that being a massive driving force in the plot…It’s just a really dried up well but I will say some of that material even landed for me. But we get it Adam McKay/Hollywood. Conservatives are bad and democrats are good. I tried not coming at this with this political lens cuz the movie is clearly about how everything is politicized and capitalized in the social media age but it’s so in your face (on its IMDb trivia section it states “Meryl Streep wanted her character's hair to look "Republican" and "ugly.") McKay and his A List Hollywood elitist cast are apart of the same shit that they’re calling out (the irony) and they’re not spared here but comes across arrogant, pretentious, and hypocritical AF at times, and stay away from any press for the movie for more of that BS.
Shit I did laugh a lot tho, and stayed pretty intrigued and entertained throughout despite its flaws. and that’s because of the performances by Leo, Jennifer Lawrence, Timothee Chalamet, Rob Morgan, Jonah Hill, Cate Blanchett, and Tyler Perry…they kept me with it and still thinking about it for awhile. Need to sit on this longer. Rewatch again soon. A lot to appreciate but was equally annoyed by it…

Bradley Thomas liked these reviews