The Godfather: Part II

The Godfather: Part II ★★★★★

Hyman Roth: There was this kid I grew up with; he was younger than me. Sorta looked up to me, you know. We did our first work together, worked our way out of the street. Things were good, we made the most of it. During Prohibition, we ran molasses into Canada... made a fortune, your father, too. As much as anyone, I loved him and trusted him. Later on he had an idea to build a city out of a desert stop-over for GI's on the way to the West Coast. That kid's name was Moe Greene, and the city he invented was Las Vegas. This was a great man, a man of vision and guts. And there isn't even a plaque, or a signpost or a statue of him in that town! Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead, I let it go. And I said to myself......this is the business we've chosen!

Goddammit this is fuckin storytelling. Perfection. And I hate the question which is better the original or 2....they’re both so fuckin perfect and might as well just not even be considered separate films. They flow so perfectly together. How we see Vito’s rise on the streets of New York here, as we saw Michael’s rise in the original. I can’t praise this film enough. The ending flashback where the family is celebrating Vito’s birthday. That scene hits me like a fuckin train every single time. Michael announces he is joining the service and Fredo’s (as if him on the fishing boat saying his Hail Marys wasn’t brutal enough they tack this on) the only one supportive...You see that Sonny is the one that introduced Carlo to Connie (we bring about our own destruction in the long run ain’t it?). It’s so fuckin haunting. I don’t throw this word around a lot but fuck it, it applies. Masterwork.

Bradley Thomas liked these reviews