Army of the Dead

Army of the Dead ★★

Zack Snyder will never have to pay for a drink in this town ever again.

I am truly shocked that MGM Resorts allowed for their IP to be plastered all over this INCLUDING The Beatles likenesses' fading atop my beloved Mirage.

Certainly 10 degrees of dumb (I knew and suspected that going in), but also surprisingly lacking any semblance of professionalism from a director that gave us such vulgar auteurist masterpieces like Dawn of the Dead, 300, and Watchmen. So much of this looks and feels like a bargain-bin SYFY Original movie of the week, with dialogue, acting, editing, and plotting with a grade school level of handle over this kind of craft.

DP Larry Fong is severely missed, despite Snyder's occasional visually appealing comic-book-like imagery. Still, my man struggles to even just capture the basic geography of his action sequences.

Say what you will about Zack's run in the DC sandbox, but there was sheer moments of beauty, grandeur, and (seemingly) intellect that went into all of his creative choices. My man is brain-dead here. His worst by a country mile.

Bonus half star for an Elvis-heavy soundtrack.

A thought popped into my head as Dave Bautista ran across black jack table after black jack table emptying endless rounds of ammo into the undead: This man was a Bond henchman once.

frankielababa22 liked these reviews