Parasite ★★★★

"She's so naive and nice. She's rich, but still nice."
"Not 'rich but still nice.' Nice because she's rich. You know? Hell, if I had all this money, I'd be nice too!"

Not a good watch for the paranoid living inside me, who now feels justified for all the passed judgments on strangers and friends alike, all the backward glances, all the second thoughts and doubts screamed through my mind whenever decision-making time drew near. After everything this movie made me go through, I realize it's a wonder I'm still alive - me, who manages to get lost even with a car-riding app, who tumbles over the first sentences I say to strangers, who's never sure what to do or say so I choose to keep quiet instead. I'm lying down, but I'm still a bundle of nerves, feeling a little bit relaxed, even if I'm still bunching up with unreleased tension. Bong Joon-ho's made it so I don't feel safe when walking outside at night in the rain, or when I'm eating a sandwich filled with meat, or when I'm just eating meat in general. Now he's made it so I don't even feel safe in my own house, just the other day, the stray cat we keep letting inside was sniffing at the gap underneath our staircase and making small noises the whole time he was doing so, I wonder what that could have meant?

"It all gets ironed out. Money is an iron. Those creases all get smoothed out."

FrankieSays liked these reviews