2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★

100 of 365 Challenge

So, I made a trip all the way down to London last week to watch a special screening of 2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm at The Prince Charles Cinema. I hadn’t seen any of Stanley Kubrick’s films up until the day before (Paths of Glory) so needless to say I was beyond hyped for this.

I certainly wasn’t disappointed as I was treated to one hell of a cinema experience, while it wasn’t exactly what I was expecting and it was definitely kinda confusing, but I still enjoyed it a lot. The visual effects that still look incredible to this day, the cinematography was stunning and the classical music is just perfect as the score. It’s amazing to see where the influence on modern Sci-Fi came from and I realise now how many parodies of 2001 I’ve seen before, many of which I still remember from The Simpsons!

The atmosphere was also amazing in the cinema, with an included intermission, lots of laughter during the film and fantastic rounds of applause at the end. I don’t really feel like I can write anything about the film until at least 1 rewatch, but it was certainly a cinema experience that I will treasure and one that I’m glad to have experienced in such an epic showing.

This also happens to be #100 in my challenge, so I got pretty lucky there... a landmark in the challenge for a landmark of a film.

Fred liked this review