Aquarius

Aquarius ★★★★

A messy movie that pinpoints the very messiness of trying to make sense out of anything these days. Starts out nearly serene, with a spectacular and extremely eye-catching handling of the passage of time; we end up in the present and find ourselves in a conflict of interests that seem tragically fixed.

The main character wants to recide in the building that the smirky moneymen want to throw her out of. She doesn't need reasons to stay, but nevertheless we clearly understand how her soul is attached to the place. That doesn't necessarily mean she's a very reasonable or likable person. Once again, she doesn't have to be. Unfortunately, the smirky moneymen are capable of being just as nice and just as self-evident. There they are. This is it.

I like how the movie also is just about living your life, the character that a life has. The movie finds time to portray simple... beingaliveness; listening to music, looking out your window, how you've decorated your place and what that old cabinet's seen, what the old may know about the young and what the young will hear but won't actually listen to.

With all these branches poking out of the movie, it finally goes just a little overboard when trying to make metaphors out of everything that's going on (cancer of the body=cancer of a building, kinda overthunk it there) but it doesn't really damage the film because it never carries the intention of taking it all home. There is no home. The final scene may come as a kinda booyah-moment, but it's actually really tragic, maddening, enormously frustrating. We're at war.